Weather can be unpredictable and sometimes we are caught out on the road when it strikes. Although no one wants to be out and about when bad weather happens, it is important to know what to do in case it does happen. If you want to be prepared for severe weather, be sure to keep reading below for a few helpful tips!
- Be sure to drive at a slower rate when there are intense winds
- In a tornado watch or warning, it is best to stay off the road and seek shelter
- If you are on the road and see a tornado approaching, do not try to outrun it, seek shelter by laying with your hands over your head in the ditch
Tips for Driving in Thunderstorms
- Make sure to have working windshield wipers on your vehicle
- Turn on your lights
- Avoid braking suddenly and using cruise control so you don’t hydroplane
- Pull off to the side of the road if you are uncomfortable or unable to see
Tips for Driving in Flood Conditions
- Avoid driving when there is a flood warning in effect for your area
- Stay on the higher roads if you are caught out in a flood and avoid lower streets where water is likely to be deeper
Tips for Driving in Fog
- Do not drive on the road if the fog is too thick to see through
- Use your low beams for the best visibility
Severe weather is something that no one wants to be stuck driving in, so be smart and listen to upcoming forecasts! We hope that you found these tips helpful. If you are in the market for your next vehicle, be sure to keep us in mind. Stop by Roberts Toyota to check out our inventory or contact us with any questions!